Columbine and
Greeley Church History

By Irene Noyes March 5, 2013

The church in Greeley originally met in the K P Hall at 811
9th Street with 3 families. This was in 1935 when Irene’s family
came to Greeley. In 1940, the men of the church purchased a house at 1128 6th
Street and remodeled it into a church meeting place. This was used as the
church building until it was outgrown in 1966 when the membership reached 120.
The old building was sold and a new building was constructed at 18th
Avenue. A group of Christians came from
Wheatridge and some of the members started to meet in members’ homes again. After
3 years the building at 1128 6th street was purchased. The
membership reached 60, and after that some of the families moved, children grew
up and left the area, so the membership dropped to only 7 or 8 members, mostly
older people. A group of Christians were
meeting at Scott Elementary school, so the 7 members joined that church. After a couple of years of growth, the church
building at 1326 7th Avenue was purchased. After a few years the building at 2409 9th
Avenue was for sale. The 3 members (including Irene) from the original 6th
Avenue congregation agreed to sell the building and give the proceeds to the
purchase of the building at 2409 9th Avenue. The Lord was with them since a developer
wanted the 6th Avenue building to convert to apartments and gave
$29,500 which was used as part of the down payment for the building presently
being used at 2409 9th Street.

Location

Columbine church of Christ

2403 9th Avenue

Greeley, Colorado 80631

(970) 353-2045







Map